Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Our newest Hi-Tech Bikes Celebrity - Shane Buysee, Interview

For a young man that hasn't been Road Racing for very long- he's already been racking up accomplishments that make some of the Pros green with envy.  Shane Buysse, a scraggly, hip, young road rocketeer has aspirations to become a Pro himself.  Afterall, he's already beating a majority of the Pro's time-splits at all his races... so naturally, it's only a matter of time.

Here's an interview with the up and coming star, and his thoughts about Junk Food and Vampire movies....





Name: Shane Buysse

Age: 24


HTB: How did you start doing Endurance sports?


Shane: I was taking my younger sister to get a new pair of running shoes and we saw a flyer for the Imperial beach sprint triathlon. We signed up and she ended up beating me pretty badly. That didn't sit too well so I began to train harder and harder-then I was hooked.


HTB: When did you start riding bikes competitively?  And what bike did you have when you started?


Shane: I started racing strictly road in 2009 after two successful prior seasons in triathlon. I started riding and racing on a Kuota Kredo which I won from Hi-Tech Bikes in a 25 hour long contest.The last person standing, holding on to the bike was the winner and I choose the Kredo for its triathlon heritage and aggressive looks.


HTB: What kind of races do you do?  (i.e. TT, Crit, Tri)


Shane: I do all varieties of road, criterium and time trial. My strength is in the time trial so I really prefer stage races. The longer the better!


HTB: When did you first really, truly realize that you were hooked on cycling?


Shane: Once I started wearing bib shorts.


HTB: What are your short and long term goals?


Shane: Short term goals for this season are to place well at Elite National Time Trial and Road Race and have a good showing at Cascade Cycling Classic in late July. Long term I am looking to get on a pro continental team to pursue my cycling career.


HTB: What awards/accolades have you achieved?


Shane: I was pretty excited when I won the California State Time Trial in category 3 and got to rock the white and blue bear skinsuit.


HTB: When did you realize you just might have some "talent" and pulled together the guts to pursue Pro status?


Shane: When I was able to post time trial times within earshot of the pros I knew I had some ability.I can't wait for the opportunity to train full time and see how my body adapts. I am learning a lot about racing this year and experience is definitely a key to becoming a better road racer.


HTB: What is your proudest moment in your riding career?


Shane: Winning a mountain top finish stage at 2009 Tour of the Gila and the time trial and overall GC at Valley of The Sun this year are certainly up there.


HTB: Do you race with a team?  If so who, and what does the team specialize in?


Shane: I race for SoCalCycling.com Elites' team. We race most of the local criteriums and road races as well as some of the bigger stage races in the western states. Our team is very well rounded and we've had good success in local criiteriums and road races thus far.


HTB: What was your craziest experience riding so far?


Shane: Racing the Tour of Gila last year a baby bear cub ran in front of the lead group which I was in. It was a pleasant reminder to take some time and smell the roses. Don't forget to take a look around when your out there and breathe it in!


HTB: What bikes do you own?


Shane: I own a Jamis Xenith SL Team and Jamis T2 time trial bike. I race on a Cannondale Super Six which is very similar to the Jamis. I might ride to the store on my Schwinn beach cruiser if Im not to wiped.


HTB: Whats your favorite on-ride nutrition?


Shane: Judging by the amount I have eaten I would assume it to be bananas. Coffee plays an integral off the bike role however.


HTB: Whats your favorite tire brand?


Shane: Michelin Pro Race 3's and Vittoria Corsa Evo CX's for smooth time trials.



HTB: Saddle?


Shane: Fizik Arione Carbon



HTB: Wheel?


Shane: Anything with a Power Tap laced into it.


HTB: Whats your next race?


Shane: Next big race is Tour of Gila, a 5 day stage race in New Mexico with lots of climbing!


HTB: Got any sponsors?


Shane: Hi-Tech Bikes has helped out immensely supporting my crazy habit and their mechanics are top notch. SoCalCycling.com has done a great job supporting grass roots cycling and nurturing riders and relationships in the sport.


HTB: Want some?


Shane: I could always use the help of a good chocolatier...I think what sponsors do is amazing and really helps grow the sport of cycling- I'd love to hear from you!


HTB: Howd you find Hi-TEch in the first place?


Shane: The old shop used to be real close to my house. I strolled in one day and bought a pair of Look Pedals and couldn't understand why people would pay so much for a piece of carbon fiber. Now I understand :)


HTB: How do you feel about being in a FULL-PAGE Competitor Magazine advertisement?


Shane: I won't believe it until I see it! Its gonna bring one of those huge smiles to my face, the kind you cant hold back.



HTB: Anyone you would like to thank?


Shane: I would like to thank Hank at Hi-Tech Bikes and SoCalCycling.com for giving me the opportunity to race and pursue my dream of becoming the strongest I can be.



HTB: Campy, Shimano, or SRAM?


Shane: Shimano, although SRAM has been growing on me.


HTB: Coke or Pepsi?

4 Senseless Q’s:


Shane: Coke is the only suitable substitute to espresso.



HTB: Oreo's or Nutter Butters?


Shane: Nutter Butter


HTB: Cheech or Chong?


Shane: Chong


HTB: Team Edward or Team Jacob?


Shane:  Ha ha really? My girlfriend prefers Edward so I'm going for Team Jacob.



HTB:  Uhh....Dude, you weren't really supposed to answer that.... *raises eyebrow*



Well, if it makes you feel any better- we'll just have to say Hi-Tech Bikes is "Team Shane".



-Ride Hi-Tech

** Wanna Ride Hi-Tech like Shane Does?  Come into Hi-Tech Bikes San Diego Location today - and come check out the newest Xenith T2 from Jamis Bicycles.  But, unfortunately, we don't sell Nutter Butters...

No comments:

Post a Comment